It’s happened to the best of us- you’re minding your own business and suddenly realize that your plastic retainer is broken. Whether it’s a crack, chip, or complete break, it can be frustrating and seemingly impossible to fix. But never fear!
With a little bit of know-how and household materials, you can have your retainer as good as new in no time.
- Gather your supplies
- You will need a sharp knife, acetone, a cotton swab, and superglue
- Cut the damaged retainer in half with the sharp knife
- If the retainer is very small, you may be able to just cut off the damaged part
- Apply acetone to the cotton swab and gently rub it over the broken edges of the retainer halves
- This will smooth out any roughness and help the super glue adhere better
- Squeeze a small amount of super glue onto one of the halves of the retainer, then press the two halves together firmly for about 30 seconds
How to Fix Cracked Plastic Retainer
If your retainer is made of plastic, and it has cracks in it, there are a few ways you can fix it. One way is to use super glue. First, clean the area around the crack with alcohol.
Then, apply a small amount of super glue to the crack. Let it dry for a few minutes, and then try wearing your retainer. Another way to fix a cracked plastic retainer is to take it to a dentist or orthodontist.
They will be able to weld the retainer back together using ultraviolet light. This method is usually more expensive than using super glue, but it will make your retainer look new again.
Can You Glue a Plastic Retainer Back Together?
- If your retainer is made of plastic, it can probably be glued back together. You’ll need to find a glue that works with plastic, which may mean trial and error. Once you’ve found the right glue, follow these steps.
- Clean both surfaces that will be glued together. Any dirt or debris will prevent the glue from adhering properly.
- Apply a thin layer of glue to one surface. Be sure not to use too much or it will ooze out and make a mess.
- Press the two surfaces together and hold for a few seconds until the glue sets.
- Allow the glued area to dry completely before wearing your retainer again.
Is It Ok to Wear a Broken Retainer?
It’s not advisable to wear a broken retainer. If you continue to wear it, you may end up causing more damage and making it harder to fix. Additionally, it will be more difficult to clean properly, and food and bacteria could get trapped under the broken appliance, leading to tooth decay.
Can a Broken Plastic Retainer Be Fixed?
If your retainer is made of plastic, it can usually be fixed. However, if it is made of metal, it is not possible to fix it. When a retainer breaks, the first thing you should do is call your orthodontist.
They will be able to tell you whether or not your retainer can be fixed. If they say that it can’t be fixed, they will most likely give you a new one.
What to Do If a Piece of Your Retainer Breaks Off?
If a piece of your retainer breaks off, the first thing you should do is try to find the piece and put it back in place. If you can’t find the piece or if it won’t stay in place, call your orthodontist right away. They will likely need to order a new retainer for you.
In the meantime, avoid eating sticky or hard foods that could damage your teeth or gums.
Cracked Retainer After Braces or Invisalign: Now What?
If your plastic retainer is broken, there’s no need to panic. There are a few easy ways to fix it at home. First, try using super glue or clear nail polish to glue the pieces back together.
If that doesn’t work, you can also try melting the plastic with a lighter and then molding it back into shape. If all else fails, you can always take it to your dentist to have it repaired or replaced.